Theresa A. Gabler, M.S. CCC-SLP
& Accent Modification Services
Pronouncing English as a Second Language
An Accent Modification
Program for Improving
Your Business, Professional
and Social Speaking Skills
Success in our society depends upon one's ability to communicate clearly and effectively. However, such a level of communication can be difficult to obtain. With more and more foreign nationals seeking employment and a new life in the United States, many parts of our culture are now a veritable melting pot of accents and linguistic variations. While many of these émigrés bring with them a strong grasp or mastery of English, individual speech patterns may limit their ability to fully express themselves or be understood. These limitations may result in frustration and embarrassment, and these individuals may be unable to fully make their unique and valuable contributions to society.
- Fortunately, a way exists to relieve the frustration and isolation these individuals may feel because of their accents. The Compton Pronouncing English as a Second Language (P-ESL) program provides a method for modifying a foreign accent in order to be better understood in conversational English. Through use of the Compton P-ESL method under the direction of a certified Accent Modification Trainer and Speech-Language Pathologist, clear, effective communication can be achieved.
- FAQ...Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Compton P-ESL Method?
- Compton P-ESL is an effective, respected, proven method to help non-native speakers with their pronunciation of American language. Dr. Arthur J. Compton, speech language pathologist and linguist, developed the Compton P-ESL program through extensive research for more than 20 years in the areas of language and phonology.
- Count me in...what happens next?
- The Compton P-ESL program begins with a personal analysis of your speech by Communication Nation's certified Accent Modification Specialist. This analysis reveal exactly how your pronunciation varies from standard American English and identifies specific areas for concentration. The analysis also assists in determining whether a group or individual course is more appropriate, as well as the number of sessions required.
- Are private training lessons available?
- Yes. Communication Nation offers the Compton P-ESL program in private, individual sessions as well as in small group settings. Rest assured, even in group settings, Communication Nation is committed to providing an individualized program specifically tailored to your needs. For this reason, group size is limited to no more than five participants for the duration of the program period.
- How often does the program run?
- Communication Nation offers the Compton P-ESL program continuously throughout the calendar year. Due to the nature of this multi-week program, the specific start date for a cycle will vary.
- How often does the class or individual meet with the trainer?
- The number of sessions recommended for an individual varies based on need. Communication Nation offers the following Compton P-ESL program options:
Committed to Communication: In-depth 13-Session Workshop
Sharpening Your Skills: Focused 7-Session Workshop
~ Coming Soon ~ Intensive 3-Session Workshop
- Will I be accent free after taking this course?
- Communication Nation is committed to analyzing your speech at the onset and throughout your participation in the Compton P-ESL program. The results obtained will be compared to the initial analysis in order to determine the extent of your improvement.
Past comparisons have shown that students who attend all required sessions and practice diligently can expect to experience at least a 50% change in their accent or dialect.
To modify an accent takes hard work and dedication. It cannot be done in the classroom alone. To achieve the greatest improvement possible, practice must also occur outside the classroom using the Compton P-ESL accent modification training materials. These materials include a practice workbook, and cassette tapes, audio CD or a CD-ROM, which is a unique, interactive aid for practicing Compton P-ESL accent modification techniques.
- Where can I purchase the course materials?
- Course materials are only available for purchase by Compton P-ESL Certified Accent Modification Specialists.Communication Nation provides the required course materials to all workshop participants at no additional charge.
For additional information, please e-mail me at:
Subject: Accent Modification Services
call (908) 208-6593